Are you bringing a camper to Blue Star and perhaps planning to stay and visit our beautiful mountains for a while?
Western North Carolina is for everyone. For over a hundred and fifty years, Hendersonville and Asheville have hosted visitors at the many excellent resorts, hotels and restaurants in the area. We hope the following suggestions will be helpful to you as you think about and plan your mountain get-away!
We have reserved hotel rooms, for Blue Star families, that offer affordable comfort, service and convenience with a heap of Southern hospitality. You can choose from a selection of cabin rentals, condominium options, inns or bed and breakfasts below. If you are looking for a more luxurious experience, you may want to look at these hotels and inns:
The Grand Bohemian will offer a 15% discount by calling 1-888-717-8756 and Asking for the “CAMPS” discount.
We have arranged special rates with the following hotels; the rates vary by property and dates.
- Mountain Lodge – Hendersonville/Flat Rock – Beautiful Suites
- Mountain Inn and Suites – Hendersonville – Same property site as the Lodge
Call 828-693-9910 for the Lodge and 828-692-7772 for the Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites and Homewood Suites – Discounted rate of 12% off best available rate. Call the hotel DIRECTLY and ask for the ‘CAMPS’ rate.
- Asheville Homewood Suites by Hilton – Tunnel Road – 828-252-5400
- Hampton Inn – Biltmore Square – 828-667-2022
- Hampton Inn Asheville – Tunnel Road – 828-25-9220
- Hampton Inn and Suites – Asheville Airport – 828-687-0806
- Hampton Inn Hendersonville – Sugarloaf Road – 828-697-2333
- Courtyard by Marriott – Asheville 828-252-5831
- Springhill Suites by Marriott – Asheville 828-252-5831
*For both the Courtyard and Springhill Suites by Marriott there is a discounted rate offered at 10% off the best available rate. Call the hotel directly and ask for the “CAMP” rate.
- Inn on Church (Bed and Breakfast) Hendersonville – 20% discount – 828-696-2001
- “The Camp” – Vacation Rentals Bat Cave, NC – www.thecampnc.com -828-252-2345
Destination airports are Asheville (AVL) NC, Charlotte (CLT) NC and Greenville/Spartanburg (GSP) SC.
It is our hope that as you decide on your campers’ mode of transportation to camp this summer, you will consider all there is to do and see in our mountains. Some of the things families may choose to do in Hendersonville, Flat Rock, Asheville and the surrounding areas are indicated below.
- Bookstore/Cafe – Malaprops
- Restaurants – Tupelo Honey, Early Girl Eatery and the Market Place (Wall Street)
- Grove Arcade (walk around it)
- Art Galleries – Blue Spiral and Haen Gallery – Broadway Avenue
- Green Sage
- Double Decker Coffee Company
- French Broad Chocolate Lounge
- Local Brews – French Broad Brewery and Highland Brewery
- The River District – Artist Studios
- Biltmore Estate and Winery – including the largest privately owned home in America. (Horseback riding on the grounds is available, but you must pre-book.)
- The Biltmore Village and New Morning Gallery.
- WNC Nature Center
- An interesting virtual exhibit to view is The Family Store – a history of Jewish business in downtown Asheville – 1880 – 1990. The Family Store is a 12-panel exhibit that was displayed in a variety of locations in downtown Asheville in the fall of 2006 and spring 2007.
- DuPont Forest/Pisgah Forest /Sliding Rock/Bridal Veil Falls
- Appalachian Trail
- Jump Off Rock Park
- Chimney Rock Park
- Grandfather Mountain
- Mount Mitchell State Park
- WNC Nature Center and Arboretum
- Holmes Educational State Forest
- Cherokee Indian Reservation
- Nantahala Outdoor Center
- Cradle of Forestry
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Milepost 383 – The Folk Art Center
- Milepost 364 – Craggy Gardens
- Milepost 355 – Mt. Mitchell
- Champa – Sushi/Asian
- Mezzaluna – Pizza
- Umi – Japanese
- West First Wood-Fired Pizza
- Harry’s Bagels
- El Paso – Mexican
- Three Chopt Sandwich Shop
- Mean Mr. Mustard’s – Breakfast/Lunch
- Hubba Hubba Smokehouse (Flat Rock)
- Flat Rock Bakery (Flat Rock)
- Zambra – Tapas – lunch/dinner
- Laughing Seed – Vegetarian – lunch/dinner
- Wasabi – sushi, lunch/dinner
- Rezaz – Mediterranean, lunch/dinner
- Fig – bistro, lunch, dinner
- Corner Kitchen – American/Southern, lunch/dinner
- Mellow Mushroom (pizza)
- Luella’s BBQ
- Frankie Bones (1960’s era) – lunch/dinner
- 12 Bones – lunch
- Early Girl – Breakfast/lunch/dinner
- Tupelo Honey – Farm to table – two locations
- And don’t miss the food trucks on Coxe Avenue!